Storage Tank Bottom Drain Comparison: Choosing the Right Option
Having complete bottom drainage in a storage tank is key for safety and proper tank maintenance. Safely maintaining chemical storage tanks presents numerous challenges.
Drawbacks of Metallic Bottom Drain Fittings
Traditional metal threaded bottom tank drain connections have these drawbacks:
- Molding an alloy ring into the bottom of the storage tank causes inconsistencies and adds stress to the tank. It weakens the tank’s structural integrity at the highest pressure load of the tank - the bottom sidewall.
- Multi-part and multi-material components and construction have different thermal expansion and contraction coefficients.
- Full drainage isn’t possible- tank is not effectively cleaned with all sediments flushed from tank due to a sizeable lip molded underneath the insert. Build up of these sediments can lead to tank degradation.
- Plumbing is threaded into the tank opening insert - threads can become worn and difficult to replace.
- Both the tank outlets and threaded plumbing require sealing - this creates two sealing...and potential leak points at the bottom of the storage tank.
IMFO: The Superior Bottom Drain Solution
Poly’s IMFO offers these clear storage tank bottom drain advantages:
- Flange located at the bottom of the tank - permits full tank drainage since outlet is below the tank knuckle radius. This eliminates the need to enter the tank for cleaning.
- One-piece construction- enhances long-term performance of the tank, since it doesn’t compromise the tanks hoop integrity or structural design.
- Complete flange face protection available- in aggressive oxidation environments, the antioxidant OR-1000™ system can protect the drainage components from deterioration.
- Highest amount of static head pressure - the IMFO’s design brings you the highest net positive suction head (NPSH) of any vertical non-coned tank on the market.
Poly Processing's IMFO is the clear smart choice for superior complete tank drainage. To learn more about the IMFO tank solution for your specific requirements, please contact a tank specialist.
- February 4, 2014
- Topics: Fittings and Accessories
About Poly Processing
Posts By Topic
Tech Talk Podcast Episodes
Subscribe By Email
- PPC Installation, Operation, and Maintenance to Prevent Chemical Corrosion
- Preventing Cross-Contamination in Multi-Product Chemical Storage Tanks
- Essential Steps for Receiving a Poly Processing Tank
- [Featured in ES&E Magazine] How To Build Cost-Effective Storage Solutions For Wastewater Treatment Chemicals
- Safely Storing Nitric Acid in Crosslinked Polyethylene Tanks: An Essential Practice for the Chemical Industry
Find the recommended tank and system components for your chemical storage challenge.Configure a Tank Package