Having complete bottom drainage in a storage tank is key for safety and proper tank maintenance. Safely maintaining chemical storage tanks presents numerous challenges.
Let’s compare the two bottom drain options: the traditional metallic insert fitting and Poly Processing’s IMFO system, or Integrally Molded Flanged Outlet.
Drawbacks of Metallic Bottom Drain Fittings
Traditional metal threaded bottom tank drain connections have these drawbacks:
- Molding an alloy ring into the bottom of the storage tank causes inconsistencies and adds stress to the tank. It weakens the tank’s structural integrity at the highest pressure load of the tank - the bottom sidewall.
- Multi-part and multi-material components and construction have different thermal expansion and contraction coefficients.
- Full drainage isn’t possible- tank is not effectively cleaned with all sediments flushed from tank due to a sizeable lip molded underneath the insert. Build up of these sediments can lead to tank degradation.
- Plumbing is threaded into the tank opening insert - threads can become worn and difficult to replace.
- Both the tank outlets and threaded plumbing require sealing - this creates two sealing...and potential leak points at the bottom of the storage tank.
IMFO: The Superior Bottom Drain Solution
With Poly’s IMFO system, the drainage flange is molded while the tank is processing, making it a one-piece, stress- free integrated part of the tank. The flange is created using the same material as the tank- cross-linked high density polyethylene. It’s not an insert “bolted on” during or after tank production.
Poly’s IMFO offers these clear storage tank bottom drain advantages:
- Flange located at the bottom of the tank - permits full tank drainage since outlet is below the tank knuckle radius. This eliminates the need to enter the tank for cleaning.
- One-piece construction- enhances long-term performance of the tank, since it doesn’t compromise the tanks hoop integrity or structural design.
- Complete flange face protection available- in aggressive oxidation environments, the antioxidant OR-1000™ system can protect the drainage components from deterioration.
- Highest amount of static head pressure - the IMFO’s design brings you the highest net positive suction head (NPSH) of any vertical non-coned tank on the market.