Tank Mixing and Mixer Mounts
The ability to mix chemicals is important in certain industrial processes, water and wastewater treatment processes, and agricultural applications. The primary goal for a polyethylene chemical storage mixing system is that it is properly designed to mix chemicals safely and cost effectively.
Let’s explore the components and considerations of a safe, cost-effective chemical mixing system for polyethylene tanks.
Mixing Systems Require Custom Tank Solutions
Properly designed mixer systems should be simple to own and operate. When building a tank mixing system, it's important to realize that there is no “one size fits all” type of solution.
Here are a few considerations to keep in mind when designing a mixing system for a poly tank.
Properties and Special Handling Requirements of the Chemicals
What chemicals need to be mixed? What are the key components of the mixture? Certain chemicals may require specialized care and consideration when designing mixing systems. For example, when blending polymers, special care must be exercised. Here are a few of the mixing formulations that are common:
- Wettable Powders (WP)
- Water Dispersible Granules (WDG)
- Dry Flowables (DF)
- Flowables or Suspension Concentrates (SC)
- Emulsifiable Concentrates (EC)
- Soluble Liquid Concentrates (SLC)
- Water Soluble Granules (WSG)
Understand the Tank
Is the mixer being mounted on a cylindrical tank with a center mount requiring a baffle? Will the mixer be set at an angle? What are the X and Y intersects of the angle of the mixer? The physical elements of the mixer itself and the shape and size of the tank will determine where the load bearing brackets must be placed.
Understand the Mixer
The downward load, bending load, weight of the mixer, and torque load exerted upon the mixer and the angles must be determined to make sure the proper bracketing is designed into the tank mixing system.
Careful consideration and understanding of these elements when building a chemical mixer system will result in a safe, cost effective chemical storage solution. However, when a mixer is not properly mounted and bracketed, improper mixing resulting in additional costs of wasted materials, and potential damage to the mixer can occur.
Poly Processing offers several different styles of mixer mounts depending on the mixer configuration. They are:
- Clamp on Style Mixer Attachment – Used on small vertical tanks with very small and lightweight mixers
- Small Freestanding Mixer Support – Used on small open top tanks with small and lightweight mixers
- Vertical Tank Supported Mixer Bridge – Used on smaller vertical tanks.
- Large Vertical or Open Top Tank Freestanding Mixer Bridge – Used on vertical tanks and open top tanks with very large mixers.
- Poly Processing Company can install baffles into our tank wall if required.
Agitator and mixer brackets are available in mild steel - painted; mild steel - epoxy coated; mild steel - powder coated; and stainless steel.
We recommend contacting us before you begin design of the tank mixing system so that we can help.
We have engineers on staff that can help with selecting the proper mixer mount for your specific requirement.
- July 21, 2016
- Topics: Fittings and Accessories
About Poly Processing
Posts By Topic
Tech Talk Podcast Episodes
Subscribe By Email
- PPC Installation, Operation, and Maintenance to Prevent Chemical Corrosion
- Preventing Cross-Contamination in Multi-Product Chemical Storage Tanks
- Essential Steps for Receiving a Poly Processing Tank
- [Featured in ES&E Magazine] How To Build Cost-Effective Storage Solutions For Wastewater Treatment Chemicals
- Safely Storing Nitric Acid in Crosslinked Polyethylene Tanks: An Essential Practice for the Chemical Industry
Find the recommended tank and system components for your chemical storage challenge.Configure a Tank Package