If you’re installing a sidewall fitting on a chemical storage tank, you’re actually creating new opportunities for leaks and chemical attack. Every hole drilled into a tank’s wall can become a weak point in your tank. You can prevent a breach in your tank’s system by carefully selecting your fittings.
We’ve serviced many chemical tanks in the field that were leaking due to end user error during sidewall fitting installation. But with Poly Processing’s B.O.S.S. Fitting, you can eliminate human error and ensure your tank will continue to have a long life.
Most Common Sidewall Fitting Errors
While there are multiple denominators that can cause errors to sidewall fittings, some of the most common problems are caused by human error. Let’s uncover a few of these issues and the effects they could have on your tank’s system.
Wrong Fitting Design
Many companies choose a fitting based on cost and purchase tank adapter style or less robust fittings. These fittings are not manufactured for nor do they belong on the bottom sidewall of a tank due to their lack of sealing surface and torque value. It is critical that your fittings have plenty of sealing surface. Any time you drill a hole into the sidewall of a tank, you create an opportunity for leaks. The proper style fitting may cost a bit more in the short term, but with the wrong fitting there can be a long-term financial impact if your tank can’t contain its chemicals. This is why it is crucial to have the correct fitting design.
If you’re using a flange-style fitting, you may have issues with sealing the bolt holes. Each of the bolts on a flange fitting has a separate gasket for the bolt head, which introduces more opportunities for a leak path. If the holes aren’t drilled correctly or are oversized, your tank can develop leaks. If you use the wrong metallic bolts, the chemicals can attack the hardware and compromise its integrity.
If you’re using a flange-style fitting, torque can be very tricky. Not enough torque leaves you susceptible to a weak seal, which means potential leaking. Too much torque will pull the bolt out of the fitting or encapsulated plastic head. It is very easy to over-torque flange-style fittings because they only have so much strength.
Reducing Human Error on Tank Sidewall Fittings
Poly Processing’s B.O.S.S. Fitting allows for more torque because we weld the bolts to a common metallic ring. This gives it many times the strength of a standard bulkhead or flange style fitting.
The B.O.S.S. Fitting is a streamlined one-piece fitting without separate bolts. It connects to the tank with a single gasket to substantially minimize the potential for leaks. A ring with welded studs, available in stainless steel, titanium or alloy C-276, is injection-molded with polyethylene around it for a one-piece fitting with a single sealing point. The B.O.S.S. is the fitting of choice for chemical storage applications.
Advantages of the B.O.S.S. Fitting
The durable B.O.S.S. Fitting is designed and developed to be the premier fitting for Poly Processing tanks. Here are five ways the B.O.S.S. fitting provides an advantage to your company:
- It’s streamlined—Its one-piece design is constructed without separatebolts, providing aunique advantage.
- Shares the same material as the tank—The B.O.S.S. can withstand exposure to the same variety of chemicals that your tank can handle.
- Multiple metals and alloys available—Although the metallic components won’t be exposed to the chemical in normal operations, we only use metals and alloys that can withstand the chemicals you’re storing.
- One sealing surface with one gasket—Instead of multiple sealing surfaces like a standard flange fitting, Reducing sealing surfaces to one point means reducing opportunities for leaks.
- Bolts are welded to a standard metallic ring—This gives a more robust fitting than any composite fitting on the market. It reduces stress on the fitting and makes it many times stronger than standard plastic fittings.
Error-Free Sidewall Fittings
The B.O.S.S. Fitting is your best choice for sidewall fittings and lets you rest easy, knowing that you’re covered against human errors.