There’s nothing more important than safely storing and handling hazardous chemicals. It’s your top priority to make every effort to prevent leaks and spills of dangerous chemicals that can cause harm to employees, the general public, and property.
The key to ensuring safety is a combination of following proper procedures and relying on the right equipment. If you’re not using the best storage tanks for your application, you may be at risk of containment failure—even if you follow all of the right procedures.
Double-Wall Storage Tanks vs. Concrete Containment
Traditionally, chemical tank systems are composed of large, high-maintenance concrete secondary containment areas that surround a primary storage tank. A polyethylene double-wall chemical storage tank, or poly chemical storage containment system, offers a better choice for safe chemical storage. Poly Processing’s polyethylene chemical storage double-wall SAFE-Tank® system alleviates the need for concrete containment—while reducing the overall footprint, costs, and maintenance.
Related content: Secondary Containment Guide
The space-, cost-, and maintenance-saving SAFE-Tanks are engineered to provide the following safety advantages:
- 110% secondary containment. The double-wall system uses equalization to provide a minimum of 110% of the working volume of the primary tank.
- Liquid equalizes in the event of a leak. This allows you to continue using the chemical within the primary tank until the tank system can be emptied, inspected, and repaired if necessary.
- XLPE. The secondary tank is constructed with the same high-density crosslinked polyethylene, or XLPE, as the inner storage tank. High-density crosslinked polyethylene is specifically engineered to accommodate the demands of chemical storage.
- Lower costs and maintenance. A concrete containment basin is the typical secondary containment solution for chemical storage tanks. The self-contained double wall that a SAFE-Tank offers is less expensive upfront and easier to maintain.
- Ideal for sulfuric acid and other harmful chemicals. The double-wall storage tank eliminates potential exposure and dangerous chemical reactions, such as sulfuric acid to water.
- Excellent for outside storage. Any debris or rainwater that could enter the secondary containment vessel is eliminated therefore not contaminating the chemical being stored.
- Bottom discharge. A bellows transition fitting enables discharge from the bottom of the tank, while maintaining the integrity of the containment. The bellows transition fitting permits safe chemical discharge from the primary tank, the tank to expand and contract due to filling, emptying, and temperature variation.
The Smart Chemical Storage Solution
Safe chemical storage is smart chemical storage. The costs associated with damage from a chemical leak or spill are serious for any business or end user. Plus it’s considerably expensive to take a tank offline and interrupt operations for repair. In addition, efforts to detect the leak and clean up of the spill presents another set of safety concerns. The SAFE-Tank System eliminates these cost, maintenance, and safety concerns while reducing the footprint to the area of a standard upright storage tank.
Looking to learn more about the SAFE-Tank? You can download our guide today.